Finding out what other proteins Folliculin interacts with is a good way of finding out what it does.
At the moment, Folliculin is known to interact with seven different proteins:
- FNIP1 – is important for the correct development of certain immune system cells, and helps Folliculin control cell growth, autophagy and development;
- FNIP2 – helps Folliculin control cell growth, autophagy, apoptosis and development;
- PKP4 – controls cell adhesion and cell division;
- RPT4 – controls how a certain group of genes called rRNA genes are switched on;
- The Rag proteins – activate cell growth;
- ULK1 and GABARAP – activate autophagy.